I had started painting Battlefront miniatures by working on a German Grenadier platoon, of which I have completed a few bases (see earlier posts). Midway through I changed tack and decided to paint a fresh batch of figures in a Panzergrenadier Platoon. I had decided to do this because my painting style was in a state of flux and I didn’t want the Grenadiers to look too varied and mismatched. After completing a few more painting projects I had decided that my style had settled enough to go about finishing what I had started.
I still remembered what theme that I was going for with the original Grenadier platoon, however I modified it somewhat. I was going for a verge of the forest/woods feel, like the platoon was emerging out into some open terrain. I decided to tone down the amount of woodland debris and scenery that I had originally envisioned in the bases. I didn’t want too much clutter and activity to overwhelm the eye. I want to strike a good balance in a scene to compliment the figures that are portrayed within it.
For this base I played around with some wood effects while trying to not be too excessive in the use of scenery. The rotten log is simply cut from a dowel of balsa wood and carved for texture. I have found that there are so many wonderful scenery products that I want to use them all on every base. As you can see I have restrained myself from using the flowers for easy colour and contrast (I think that they look so good). However I have managed to sneak some handmade mushrooms in there to stay true to the bases that I have previously painted in this platoon. I was also playing around with making bushes and how to make them look complex rather than just a blob of sponge. Not entirely happy with it, but I want to continue to experiment with how to achieve the right effect.
I am very happy with the way the rest of this Grenadier platoon turned out and I’ll be posting the rest in the weeks to come. I hope that you enjoy viewing; feel free to comment and provide feedback.