Panzer Vor!

I completed this Panzer IVH platoon a while back. I used an assembly guide that I had found online by Tomwise. It’s an excellent guide and it provides a step by step on assembling the Schurtzen as well as the best methods to use when painting the tanks. For the painting I used a lot of the techniques detailed in a sticky thread on the Battlefront galleries created by Zoolander. It was also an excellent opportunity to experiment with a lot of the weathering techniques that I had read about and seen used.

For the mud effect I used a technique, borrowed from larger scale modellers, whereby a large paint brush is laden with paint mixture and the air flow from the airbrush is used to blow the paint onto the model. This attempts to replicate a speckled mud effect. To give the mud some texture I used paint mixed with plaster and “blew” it onto the Schurtzen in layers.

Overall I’m very happy with the way that these have turned out. I was also able to learn a great deal from my experiences which I hope to be able to apply successfully in the future. For the paint scheme I mostly used Vallejo paints, however I can not say enough good things about using Tamiya paints in an airbrush. They have a fantastic consistency and just flow very easily. The primary colours used are: Vallejo Middlestone for the dunkelgelb, Tamiya Red Brown and Tamiya Olive Green for the camouflage pattern.

This platoon continues my 7th Panzer Division theme which I look to expand upon in the near future. I hope that you enjoyed looking and feel free to provide feedback or ask questions.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Flames of War Painting and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Panzer Vor!

  1. Weebl says:

    Beautiful.

  2. Cameron says:

    They look really good. I am really impressed with the control when airbrushing those freehand camouflage spots. I have struggled trying to do those (might have something to do with my bent airbrush needle…hahaha). Did you use an oil wash on these models? I recently tried it for the first time.

    I’m going to paint up two infantry platoons in the next few weeks. I will definitely be visiting your blog and tutorial on WWPD for some inspiration. I definitely won’t be able to achieve the level of detail you have, but I hope to get them to look good.

    • minutiaeofwar says:

      I practiced a lot on an A4 sheet of paper, figuring out the pressures, paint consistency, distance to target, etc. Having an excellent colour reference book to work from helped a lot. It was difficult to avoid the spiders and splatters, however using Tamiya paints was so much easier. I would highly recommend buying a new needle to help avoid the splatters and get a smooth flow.
      I did use a mix of Burnt Umber and Black artist oil paints mixed together along with some white spirit. After the gloss varnish I was able to just dab it on and it flowed into all of the recesses.
      Thank you for your positive feedback and I look forward to seeing your infantry platoons in the future

  3. Anonymous says:

    Very nice detail and color. Yes Tamiya! Gives you a reason to keep all the old pots cause Vallejo just gums up the airbrush!

    Troy

    • minutiaeofwar says:

      I hear you on that one, even their Vallejo Model Air range isn’t all that crash hot either. Tamiya just flows out so smoothly at all pressures and thins very easily. Thank you for the comment.

  4. Phil says:

    Great paintjob!
    Phil.

  5. 40kterminatus says:

    I`m drooling over those Panzer IV`s. Good job.

Please feel free to comment or discuss

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s